Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Adam Lambert Lands On The Out100 List

Adam Lambert was selected for this year’s OUT100 list, spotlighting the year’s most influential gay, lesbian and transfender men and women.  Lambert was interviewed by Out editor-in-chief, Aaron Hicklin, who has spoken out in the past about the American Idol alum’s position in the LGBT community.

Lambert, shot for the mag by famed photog Gavin Bond, said of being a gay icon, “I think the hardest thing about being a gay celebrity is that we’re in the middle of a social rights movement and it’s a very hot topic, so we’re at a very pivotal time.”

Lambert continued, “Coming out was great, but there are certain issues that always surprise me and I think, Why is this an issue? I live and I’ve grown up in a space that is very accepting and open-minded; I surround myself socially with people that are artists and very bohemian and I forget sometimes that, OK, we’re dealing with mainstream culture now, which does not have the same mentality as I do.”

And what about his public persona in the last few years?  “Sometimes I’m not as objective as I could be, and I don’t look at things from the perspective of a first time audience,” Lambert admitted.  “That definitely was somewhat the case with the American Music Awards performance [when Adam simulated oral sex and kissed his keyboard player], I didn’t quite put myself in the position of the viewer at home that had watched me on American Idol and the next time they see me on TV, it’s that performance.

“The AMA thing was maybe a little too much, too soon, and the photoshoot for Details, although very beautiful, maybe it wasn’t the right timing.”

PS-Congrats to Lambert and boyfriend Sauli Koskinen on their one year anniversary.  On November 5th, Lambert tweeted “Happy Anniversary Sauli!! One year ago tonight we met in Helsinki!!! I love you!”