Monday, October 17, 2011

Adam Lambert Covers The Advocate November 2011



Sure to excite his die-hard fan base, Adam Lambert is featured on the cover of the November 2011 issue of The Advocate.

The 29-year-old "American Idol" alum is shown in an up close and personal spread while chatting about topics such as his latest album and maintaining visibility as a gay cultural figure.

Highlights from Adam's interview are as follows. For more, be sure to visit The Advocate!

On his latest album:
“No matter what the genre is, it’s all very personal, even on upbeat, fun tracks. The last album was a little bit more of a fantasy escape…even my image for that last album felt very theatrical and kind of over-the-top and intentionally tacky. I get a kick out of making artistic statements that are kind of ridiculous.”

Getting things just right for his sophomore effort:
“I don’t know how other artists do it, but for this project I’m adopting the mentality of just keep writing and keep recording as much as possible, and then when we know that we’re ready to decide which tracks are going to be on the album, we’ll look at everything and narrow it down.”

On maintaining visibility as a gay cultural figure:
“How many ways can I spell G-A-Y? Everybody knows I’m gay. And the thing that’s hard is, where’s there balance for me? I’m a musician and I’m writing music. I’m also becoming more involved sociopolitically, I’m getting involved with the Trevor Project and Equality California — these are things that I really do care about. But I do want to maintain a balance. What am I going to be known for in 15 years? I want to be known for my music, that’s my art. That’s what I’m contributing actively. I think visibility is a great tool, and that’s one other reason that I’ve been so verbal about it, but the irony is that here we are, talking about it.”

On his relationship with boyfriend Sauli Koskinen:
“You know, honestly, when you start talking so much about your relationship, it opens the door too much. I’ve only been in one major long-term relationship prior to this, and I’m really, really happy. It’s done a lot for me, and it’s grounded me, and it has inspired me as a writer as a performer. I just think everybody wants that connection, and I’m really happy to have found it.”